Strawberry Rice Dessert
A snowy wreath of creamy rice pudding crowned with a pretty red strawberry filling makes this dessert a colorful Christmas classic. It's also nice layered in parfait glasses and garnished with green mint leaves.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-3/4 cups cold milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a saucepan, combine the rice, 1-1/2 cups milk and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over remaining milk; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in sugar. Microwave on high for 45 seconds; stir. Let stand for 1 minute or until gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved. Stir into hot rice. Transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Fold in the whipped cream. Spoon into a 5-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, drain the strawberries, reserving 1 cup juice. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and reserved strawberry juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Cool for 10 minutes. Add strawberries and stir to coat. Refrigerate until chilled. Invert rice mold onto a serving platter and unmold. Fill center with strawberry mixture. Garnish with mint if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 293 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Rice Dessert in Country Woman Christmas 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.