The rosy color and tangy flavor of this favorite salad comes through with every refreshing bite. It's a quick, simple salad and an excellent addition to any meal. Our family and friends look forward to this dish when joining us for dinner on the farm. -Kathy Flowers, Burkesville, Kentucky
Recommended: Who Knew You Could Do That with Jello?
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam or strawberry spreadable fruit
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 medium tart apple, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Lettuce leaves and mayonnaise, optional
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring rhubarb and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat. Add the gelatin powder, sugar and jam; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add pineapple juice. Chill until partially set. Stir in apple and nuts if desired. Pour into six 1/2-cup molds or a 1-qt. bowl coated with cooking spray. Chill until set. Unmold onto lettuce leaves if desired and top with a dollop of mayonnaise. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry-Rhubarb Gelatin in Taste of Home April/May 2000, p39