Strawberry-Rhubarb Cream Cheese Tarts
I created these tarts for a contest featuring dairy products which, as a dairy farmer’s daughter and former county dairy princess, I am always happy to share my recipes. This tart was awarded first place. It's a little time-consuming, but it's worth it for rehearsal dinners, luncheons, brunches or bridal showers.—Marel Raub, Duncannon, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB FILLING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide into five portions. Press dough onto bottom and up sides of five ungreased 4-in. fluted tart pans with removable bottoms; place on a baking sheet.
- For cream cheese filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Add egg; beat on low speed just until blended. Divide evenly among pastries.
- For strawberry-rhubarb filling, in a large saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in strawberries and rhubarb; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened; spoon over cream cheese mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour.
- For drizzle, in a small saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl; stir in rum. Press waxed paper onto surface of cream mixture. Cool to room temperature.
- Sprinkle almonds over tarts; drizzle with cream mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Editor’s Note: If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out. To toast nuts, spread in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Or, spread in a dry nonstick skillet and heat over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Strawberry-Rhubarb Cream Cheese Tart in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.