Strawberry-Rhubarb Cream Cheese Tarts
I created these tarts for a contest featuring dairy products which, as a dairy farmer’s daughter and former county dairy princess, I am always happy to share my recipes. This tart was awarded first place. It's a little time-consuming, but it's worth it for rehearsal dinners, luncheons, brunches or bridal showers.—Marel Raub, Duncannon, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB FILLING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide into five portions. Press dough onto bottom and up sides of five ungreased 4-in. fluted tart pans with removable bottoms; place on a baking sheet.
- For cream cheese filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Add egg; beat on low speed just until blended. Divide evenly among pastries.
- For strawberry-rhubarb filling, in a large saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in strawberries and rhubarb; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened; spoon over cream cheese mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour.
- For drizzle, in a small saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl; stir in rum. Press waxed paper onto surface of cream mixture. Cool to room temperature.
- Sprinkle almonds over tarts; drizzle with cream mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Editor’s Note: If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out. To toast nuts, spread in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Or, spread in a dry nonstick skillet and heat over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Strawberry-Rhubarb Cream Cheese Tart in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014