Strawberry Popovers Recipe
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Gradually add sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in strawberries. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. Using 1/2 teaspoon shortening for each cup, grease the bottom and sides of nine popover cups. In a small bowl, beat eggs; beat in milk. Add the flour, sugar and salt; beat until smooth (do not overbeat). Fill prepared cups half full.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 15 minutes longer or until very firm.
- 4. Immediately cut a slit in the top of each popover to allow steam to escape. Spoon strawberry filling into popovers. Serve immediately. Yield: 9 servings.
Editor's Note: You may use greased muffin tins instead of popover pans. Fill every other cup two-thirds full with batter to avoid crowding the popovers; fill remaining cups with water. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes and 350° for 10 minutes. Yield: 13 popovers.
1 popover: 323 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.