I found this recipe in an old cookbook and just love it. When our large family was home, I couldn't keep up with the demand for these yummy little pastries-the kids ate them as fast as I could bake them! It simply wouldn't be Christmas breakfast without a platter of these family favorites.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3-1/4 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 cup frozen sliced sweetened strawberries with juice, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Melted butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, shortening, salt, egg, remaining sugar and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- For filling, combine sugar and tapioca in a small saucepan; add strawberries. Let stand for 5 minutes. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the lemon juice. Cool.
- Punch down dough; divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into 2-in. squares. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of filling into the center of each square. Bring two opposite corners together over center of filling; pinch to seal. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Brush with melted butter; cool. For icing, in a small bowl, cream shortening and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over pastries.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 128 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.