Strawberry Orange Meringue Cake Recipe
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Line a 9-in. springform pan with parchment paper. Grease paper and sides of pan; set aside. In a bowl, combine the cake mix, orange juice, egg yolks and orange peel; beat for 3 minutes. Pour into prepared pan. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over batter, sealing to edge of pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes (meringue will crack). Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Cool completely. Cut in half widthwise.
- 3. In a small bowl, mash 1/4 cup berries with remaining sugar. Add cream and beat on high until stiff peaks form. Place one cake layer half meringue side up on a serving plate. Spread half the whipped cream mixture over cake. Top with remaining cake and topping. Garnish with remaining berries. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Jiffy cake mix.
1 piece: 438 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.