Strawberry Orange Meringue Cake
This beautiful strawberry cake is the best I've ever tasted. It's hard to believe it starts with a boxed cake mix.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Line a 9-in. springform pan with parchment paper. Grease paper and sides of pan; set aside. In a bowl, combine the cake mix, orange juice, egg yolks and orange zest; beat for 3 minutes. Pour into prepared pan. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over batter, sealing to edge of pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes (meringue will crack). Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Cool completely. Cut in half widthwise.
- In a small bowl, mash 1/4 cup berries with remaining sugar. Add cream and beat on high until stiff peaks form. Place one cake layer half meringue side up on a serving plate. Spread half the whipped cream mixture over cake. Top with remaining cake and topping. Garnish with remaining berries. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Jiffy cake mix.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 438 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Meringue Cake in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.