Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (17-1/4 ounces) frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 pints fresh strawberries, sliced
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each pastry sheet to a 9-in. square. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into a bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate, without stirring, until chilled.
- For topping, beat cream in a chilled large bowl until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- Place one pastry square on a serving platter. Top with the custard, strawberries, sweetened whipped cream and second pastry. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 475 calories, 29g fat (13g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 5, 2011
This is the best strawberry dessert recipe. I have had the actual "real thing" made by Dean for his restaurant - and can never get enough. I have made it on numerous ocassions and get rave reviews. I always try to pass it off as my own - but end up giving credit where credit is due! You can't go wrong!!