Strawberry Muffins with Cinnamon-Honey Spread Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans, optional
- CINNAMON-HONEY SPREAD:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, mix strawberries, oil, eggs and food coloring if desired; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans if desired.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until muffins test done.
- Meanwhile, combine spread ingredients in a small bowl; beat until blended. Serve with the muffins. Store spread in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen (3/4 cup spread).
Reviews forStrawberry Muffins with Cinnamon-Honey Spread
"My husband LOVED these and I found them to be quite tasty myself! I think I may have overstirred them just a tad, as they were a bit thicker than I expected. I too did 1/2 C oil, 1/2 C unsweetened apple sauce. I used fresh strawberries and because I wanted a lot of them, I cut them into smaller chunks before measuring out 2C, ensuring that there will be quite a lot of strawberry. I think they baked real well and had a nice crust on the top full of a cinnamon flavor. My husband liked the spread, but to me it just tasted like a lot of sugar. I might bypass that next time, or make a much smaller batch of it. Overall, these were DELICIOUS and I can't wait to make them again."
"These were average! They didn't taste "strawberry" enough to me."
"Made these this weekend and they were a huge hit. Very moist and flavorful. Will make these again."
"I went a little healthier:-no oil-only one egg-1 1/2 cups chunky cinnamon applesauce-1/4 cup lowfat milk-2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt-unsweetened frozen fruit instead (and try mixed berries too)-1/4 less sugar (adding a smidge more flour)-no food coloring - just use the liquid from the thawed fruit and a little less milk-and try "white wheat" instead of white flour (fewer total carbs, with more fiber, and more protein)Yum!"
"Loved this recipe! I made a couple of modifications, used 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup ripe, mashed banana. Also used fresh strawberries and a few leftover blueberries. Wonderful!"
"Very tasty. I used one commenter's half-oil, half-applesauce suggestion. But I'd not noticed the yield - yikes!"
"Very easy to whip up a batch--my four kids loved them!! I love it when I have a whim, I can go to tasteofhome.com and find nearly anything to make with the ingredients I happen to have on hand! Thank you!"
"Very tasty, and easy to make. Quite a sweet treat."
"Oh my goodness, so delicious! These muffins are so light and perfectly sweet with the spread on top. The only change I made was to replace half of the oil with applesauce, and I got 2 dozen regular sized heavenly muffins :)"
"Excellent way to use the extra strawberries in our strawberry patch. The cinnamon-honey spread is delicious!! It would be even better with 1/2 cream cheese and 1/2 butter because cream cheese icing is my favorite thing!"