- 1/3 cup finely crushed saltines (about 12 crackers), divided
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 package (4 ounces) German sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups strawberries, halved
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cracker crumbs into a greased 9-in. pie plate. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in vanilla, pecans and remaining cracker crumbs. Spread meringue onto the bottom and up the sides of prepared pan. Bake at 300° for 45 minutes. Turn oven off and do not open door; let cool in the oven overnight. Melt chocolate and butter; drizzle over shell. Let stand 15 minutes or until set. Top with berries. Whip the cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form; spoon over berries. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forStrawberry Meringue Pie
"This was a good dessert, a bit sweet but not overly so."
"had trouble getting out of pan, stuck to the bottom, also very sweet. sorry won't be doing this again."
"Sounds like a very good, very rich dessert. I think I will try it with everything but the whipping cream--use fat-free whipped topping to make it more Weight Watcher friendly. I'd like to know the points for it with the whipped topping."