Strawberry Meringue Desserts
When time is short, use thawed whipped topping instead of making sweetened whipped cream. —Susan Maraffa, North Lima, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 4 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 5 cups fresh strawberries
- Chocolate syrup
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw twenty-four 4x2-1/2-in. rectangles on the paper; set aside.
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, 1 teaspoon vanilla, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Insert a #12 round pastry tip in a pastry bag or heavy-duty plastic bag. Fill bag with meringue. Pipe meringue in long rows on rectangles until each is completely filled. Bake at 250° for 1 hour or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets. When cooled completely, remove meringues from paper and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread 1 tablespoon over each meringue. Let stand until chocolate is set.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add confectioners' sugar and remaining vanilla, beating on high until stiff peaks form.
- Set aside 12 strawberries; cut remaining strawberries into 1/4-in. slices. Place 12 meringues on a flat serving platter. Spread each with 2 tablespoons whipped cream; top with sliced strawberries. Spread each with 2 tablespoons whipped cream. Top with remaining meringues and whipped cream. Loosely cover; refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- Just before serving, drizzle with chocolate syrup. Cut reserved strawberries in half. Arrange cut side down over whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 311 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 48mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.