- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, divided
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, orange juice, egg yolks and orange peel. Beat on medium speed for 4 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until foamy. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread the meringue evenly over cake batter. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool in pans on wire racks (meringue will crack).
- Beat cream until stiff peaks form. Mash 1/2 cup of strawberries with remaining sugar; fold into whipped cream. Loosen edges of cakes from pans with a knife. Using two large spatulas, carefully remove one cake to a serving platter, meringue side up. Carefully spread with about two-thirds of the cream mixture. Slice the remaining berries; arrange half over cream mixture. Repeat layers. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forStrawberry Meringue Cake
"I have been making this recipe, with the exception that I use a Strawberry cake Mix, for my daughters birthday for the last 25 years. I found the recipe on the inside of a egg carton."
"Made this for an outdoor get together and everyone loved it."
"I made this recipe a month ago. I had some un expected company coming that night and I had some strawberries I was needing to use up. I followed the recipe exactly... I had some trouble getting the cakes out of the pans due to the meringue but will some work I got them out in one piece. (next time I will use wax paper). I was so scared to serve this cake, due to never trying anything like this before... but it was a huge hit, there was only two pieces left over and my husband who never raves about any cakes loved it soo much I am making it today for his birthday!"
"This is fairly easy to make, it looks like a lovely, and it tastes out of this world. The orange juice and zest really makes this one!"