- 2 medium oranges
- 2 medium lemons
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 quart ripe strawberries, crushed
- 7 cups sugar
- 1 pouch liquid fruit pectin (half of a 6-ounce package)
- Peel outer layer of oranges and lemons; set aside. Remove the white membrane from fruit and discard. Set the fruit aside. Chop peels; place in a large saucepan. Add water and baking soda; cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, section oranges and lemons, reserving juice. Add fruit and juice to saucepan; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add strawberries. Measure fruit; return 4 cups to the saucepan. (If you have more than 4 cups, discard any extra; if less, add water to equal 4 cups.) Add sugar and mix well. Boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in pectin. Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle into 10 hot half-pint jars or freezer containers, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: about 10 half-pints.
Reviews forStrawberry Marmalade
"Amazing Marmalade! Made this for friend as she loves orange marmalade and was surprised at how good it tasted. It was a lot more work that I am used to when making jams and jellies but well worth it. Have had several people ask for a jar. Will be making a double batch over Christmas holiday."
"A couple things I think for the picture they must have pureed the peels. It has a very ... awkward taste. It's not exactly bad but it's not exactly good either. It's impossible to describe.I was actually very excited about this recipe when I bought the magazine now I'm kind of eh. It may be because I'm not used to marmalades."
"Good. I tried a bit on a spoon. It had an interesting tart flavor."
" Thinking I might try this to go in Christmas baskets this year. We have a strawberry farm near here, that will have strawberries in Dec.Thanks!"