Strawberry Mandarin Chicken Salad
I made fruity chicken salad for a food-preserving class, and it was a tasty triumph. It's crispy, crunchy, healthy and refreshing and pairs well with garlic bread and iced tea. —Betty Henagin, Medford, Oregon
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- 4 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 4 cups torn red leaf lettuce
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups quartered fresh strawberries
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup salad croutons
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Poppy seed salad dressing
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Cook chicken in drippings 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Place lettuces on a large serving platter. Arrange chicken, oranges, tomatoes, strawberries, avocados, croutons, green onions, cheese and bacon over lettuce. Serve with salad dressing.