- 3 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam, melted
- In a saucepan, melt 2 ounces chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring constantly; spread or brush over the bottom and up the sides of pastry shell. Chill. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread over chocolate layer; cover and chill for 2 hours. Arrange strawberries, tip end up, atop the filling. Brush jam over strawberries. Melt the remaining chocolate and drizzle over all. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forStrawberry Lover's Pie
"This pie is so good!!"
"Cream cheese mixture needs something..... A slash of lemon juice or almond extract along with the vanilla or a small layer of whipped topping also splash the top with Redi Whip in random spots. Or as one comment said add a I'm going to say a thin layer of strawberry glaze to the top of the cream cheese mixture / something anyone of the above or all of the above would make this pie much better then it is. I would also definitely double the chocolate amt called for. I don't know where this pie won it's prize to be a prize winning recipe but it is definitely lacking as is. But it does have possibilities. The strawberry jam is what makes it! I am a great baker if I do say so myself so I do know what I am talking about with my suggestions. A small amount of peach nectar could also be used in the cream cheese mixture to make this recipe really pop!!!"
"I have made this many times. I didn't always have the strawberry jam so I used the strawberry glaze that you can purchase in the produce department. Like the creator of this recipe, people always ask me for the recipe after they tell me how much they love the pie!"
"Follow the directions to a t! I tried to add a lil more choc.the crust. It made it a little bit hard to cut for even pieces. But tasted amazing!!"
"Every year I pick at least 60 lbs. of strawberries. There is only 2 pies that I have been making and this is one of them. And know i'm deciding there is more different ones out there to try. This strawberry lover's pie is my favorite, by far"
"What an awesome pie! I have been making it for 17 years! I usually double the filling. I use a premade graham crust & have used frozen mixed berries - always turns out wonderful!"
"I have made this pie many times and we always enjoy it. The chocolate does make it a bit difficult to cut the pie, but the flavor makes up for it. I do find that if the pie sits overnight (which is not specified or required), the berries do tend to "weep" a bit and the jam topping tends to liquefy. Still, the flavor is good enough to overlook that, in my opinion. It definitely is better if you can prepare and serve it all in the same day."
"This is supposedly a "prize winning recipe", and "quick". In my experience making this recipe, it is neither. If it is prize winning, it is based on appearance only.A waste of time and ingredients. It turned to a liquid mush in my refrigerator over night."