Strawberry-Lemon Crepe Cake
Each year for my husband's birthday I make him a different lemon cake (a tradition started by his mother). A couple years ago I made a Lemon Crepe Cake and it was really good. This spring I added fresh strawberries and the cake was fabulous! I like to make the crepe batter and lemon curd the night before and assemble the next morning. —Lora Roth, Seneca, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 1 hr. + chilling Cook: 35 min.
Makes10 servings plus 5 leftover crepes
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 package (16 ounces) fresh strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, egg yolks and lemon peel until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in softened gelatin until completely dissolved. Transfer to a large bowl; cool. Press waxed paper onto surface of lemon curd; refrigerate overnight or until chilled.
- Meanwhile, for crepes, in a small bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar and salt; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet over medium heat; pour 2 tablespoons batter into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside 1 cup for topping; cover and refrigerate. In a large bowl, gradually whisk whipped cream into lemon curd.
- To assemble, place one crepe on a cake plate. Spread with 3 tablespoons filling and layer with 2 tablespoons strawberries. Repeat layers until 15 crepes are used (save remaining crepes for another use). Cover cake and remaining lemon curd mousse; refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, top cake with whipped cream. Garnish with remaining strawberries. Serve with additional lemon curd mousse.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with a scant 1/4 cup lemon curd mousse: 461 calories, 30g fat (17g saturated fat), 328mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Lemon Crepe Cake in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.