Strawberry-Lemon Crepe Cake
Each year for my husband's birthday I make him a different lemon cake (a tradition started by his mother). A couple years ago I made a Lemon Crepe Cake and it was really good. This spring I added fresh strawberries and the cake was fabulous! I like to make the crepe batter and lemon curd the night before and assemble the next morning. —Lora Roth, Seneca, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 1 hr. + chilling Cook: 35 min.
Makes10 servings plus 5 leftover crepes
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 package (16 ounces) fresh strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the eggs, sugar, lemon juice, egg yolks and lemon zest until blended. Add butter; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in softened gelatin until completely dissolved. Transfer to a large bowl; cool. Press waxed paper onto surface of lemon curd; refrigerate overnight or until chilled.
- Meanwhile, for crepes, in a small bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla. Combine the flour, sugar and salt; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet over medium heat; pour 2 tablespoons batter into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside 1 cup for topping; cover and refrigerate. In a large bowl, gradually whisk whipped cream into lemon curd.
- To assemble, place one crepe on a cake plate. Spread with 3 tablespoons filling and layer with 2 tablespoons strawberries. Repeat layers until 15 crepes are used (save remaining crepes for another use). Cover cake and remaining lemon curd mousse; refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, top cake with whipped cream. Garnish with remaining strawberries. Serve with additional lemon curd mousse.