A tangy lemon filling chock-full of berry slices is tucked inside these tender puffs. "My husband is impressed with their great taste and appearance. I like how easy the puffs are to make," pens Janice Mitchell from Aurora, Colorado.
Recommended: 11 Best Recipes for Cream Puffs
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) vanilla yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open and remove tops; discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- For filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in milk and yogurt until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon extract and butter flavoring. Cool. Fold in strawberries. Chill.
- Fill the cream puffs just before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry-Lemon Cream Puffs in Country Woman May/June 2002, p40