Strawberry-Lemon Cream Puffs
A tangy lemon filling chock-full of berry slices is tucked inside these tender puffs. My husband is impressed with their great taste and appearance. I like how easy the puffs are to make. —Janice Mitchell, Aurora, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open and remove tops; discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- For filling, combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in milk and yogurt until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon extract and butter flavoring. Cool. Fold in strawberries. Chill.
- Fill the cream puffs just before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 192 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Strawberry-Lemon Cream Puffs in Country Woman May/June 2002