"I couldn't decide how to use the lemon curd a friend had given me, so I tried spreading it between layers of angel food cake," relates Marietta Eklund of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. "I topped each piece with strawberries. We loved it!"
Recommended: 21 Easter Cake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 4 to 5 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. For lemon curd, in the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in the lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Cook over simmering water for 15 minutes or until mixture has thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Strain to remove peel and stir in food coloring if desired. Refrigerate.
- Split cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a third of the lemon curd. Repeat layers twice. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with strawberries. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry-Lemon Angel Cake in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p60