Strawberry Jam Bars
There's a golden crust nicely seasoned with nutmeg, allspice and honey on these sweet bars. The recipe was given to me by an aunt.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and honey. Combine the flour, baking powder, allspice and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Divide the dough in half; spread half into a lightly greased 9-in. square baking pan. Spread with jam. Drop remaining dough by teaspoonfuls over jam. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 188 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Jam Bars in Best of Country Cookies
May 6, 2013
These have a nice flavor to them. Dropping the batter onto the strawberry layer is rather tedious, and my bars were a little bit too soft. Maybe I needed to bake them longer.