Strawberry-Hazelnut Meringue Shortcakes Recipe
In summer the strawberry farms are open for picking. I serve strawberries with a crunchy hazelnut meringue cookie. —Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 4 cups low-fat frozen yogurt
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 250°. Beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- 3. Using a measuring cup and spatula or an ice cream scoop, drop meringue into eight even mounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. With the back of a spoon, shape into 3-in. cups. Sprinkle with hazelnuts. Bake 45-50 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets. Remove meringues from paper.
- 4. Place 3 cups strawberries in a large bowl; mash slightly. Stir in remaining strawberries. Just before serving, top meringues with frozen yogurt and strawberries. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving: 212 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Strawberry-Hazelnut Meringue Shortcakes
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC