Strawberry Ginger Tart
“This tart heralds lazy summer days when strawberries are at their sweetest and juiciest. It’s entirely customizable, too. You can substitute any refrigerated cookie dough for the crust.” —Chantal Bourbon, Montreal, Quebec
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 4 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg white and ginger. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. tart pan.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Sprinkle with chips. Bake 4-5 minutes longer or until chocolate is melted; spread over crust. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth; spread over chocolate. Top with strawberries. In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave jam in 10-second intervals until melted; brush over strawberries. Sprinkle with ginger. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 293 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Ginger Strawberry Tart in Simple & Delicious June/July 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.