Strawberry French Toast Bake
I was ecstatic when the owners of the Morley House in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, graciously shared this fabulous recipe with me. It's so good! —Debbie Dougherty, New Albany, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + standing
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 cups sauce)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 16 slices bread, crusts removed
- 10 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- STRAWBERRY SAUCE:
- 1 jar (18 ounces) strawberry preserves
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Spread cream cheese over eight slices of bread; top with remaining bread. Cut sandwiches into 1-in. squares; place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cream, butter and syrup; pour into the dish. With a spoon, gently press bread cubes into egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and top is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine preserves and strawberries. Cook and stir until preserves are melted. Serve with French toast bake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 697 calories, 34g fat (19g saturated fat), 348mg cholesterol, 662mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Fresh Strawberry Stuffed French Toast in Country Woman Christmas 2011
Feb 15, 2015
I loved this. I used strawberry cream cheese. I baked the dish covered for 40 minutes and 15 uncovered. I probably should have just baked it uncovered from the beginning.