Strawberry Cream Pie
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, optional
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. Cover bottom of pie shell with nuts if desired; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir a small amount into egg; return all to the saucepan. Cook and stir until almost bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 1-2 minutes more (do not boil). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and almond extract if desired. Cool to room temperature. Whip cream; fold into filling. Pour into pie shell. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- 2. About 2 hours before serving, prepare glaze. Combine crushed strawberries and water in a large saucepan; cook for 2 minutes. Combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir into the berries. Cook until thick and clear, stirring constantly. Strain. Cool for 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, arrange berry halves over filling; pour glaze evenly over berries. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
1 piece: 336 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 22, 2017
I didn't like the almond extract (although I'll keep the almonds themselves), and I'd suggest increasing the glaze by half as I didn't quite have enough to cover all the gaps, but loved it! I'll probably use the glaze for other things too :)
Mar 16, 2013
I starting making this pie over 30 years ago. The only thing I do different is I toast sliced almonds for the bottom of the pie shell. I also use 1 tsp vanilla extract and no almond extract. Love this pie
May 10, 2012
Fabulous, everyone loved it, will make it again
Jul 22, 2010
Wonderful, luscious pie! My family and I particularly like the addition of the almonds and the almond extract. I made it once without the almond extract because I didn't have any, and I thought the flavor was a bit flat without it. It was the nevertheless quite good sans almond extract, so it all depends on individual taste.
Feb 9, 2010
I thought that this dish was excellent! The only thing I would change about it is to leave out the almonds and the almond extract. The almonds did provide a bit of a crunch which was a nice contrast to the softness of the pie filling. I felt that the almond extract took away some of the sweet flavor, and was a bit too strong for me. Other than that this cream pie was easy to make (this was my first cream pie), even though it was time consuming. I give it 7 stars!