Strawberry Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, optional
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crushed strawberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. Cover bottom of pie shell with nuts if desired; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir a small amount into egg; return all to the saucepan. Cook and stir until almost bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 1-2 minutes more (do not boil). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and almond extract if desired. Cool to room temperature. Whip cream; fold into filling. Pour into pie shell. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- 2. About 2 hours before serving, prepare glaze. Combine crushed strawberries and water in a large saucepan; cook for 2 minutes. Combine sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir into the berries. Cook until thick and clear, stirring constantly. Strain. Cool for 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, arrange berry halves over filling; pour glaze evenly over berries. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 336 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Strawberry Cream Pie
"Fabulous, everyone loved it, will make it again"
"Wonderful, luscious pie! My family and I particularly like the addition of the almonds and the almond extract. I made it once without the almond extract because I didn't have any, and I thought the flavor was a bit flat without it. It was the nevertheless quite good sans almond extract, so it all depends on individual taste."
"I thought that this dish was excellent! The only thing I would change about it is to leave out the almonds and the almond extract. The almonds did provide a bit of a crunch which was a nice contrast to the softness of the pie filling. I felt that the almond extract took away some of the sweet flavor, and was a bit too strong for me. Other than that this cream pie was easy to make (this was my first cream pie), even though it was time consuming. I give it 7 stars!"