Strawberry Chocolate Meringue
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups whole fresh strawberries
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Trace a 9-in. circle on paper.
- Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in almonds.
- Spoon meringue evenly over circle, forming a 1-1/4-in. rim. Bake at 300° for 45 minutes. Turn oven off; leave meringue in oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets. When cooled completely, remove meringues from paper and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the cocoa, milk and vanilla. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into the meringue shell. Top with strawberries.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over berries.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 323 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 12, 2014
Have made it several times - delicious chocolate cream cheese mixture!! I left out the almonds from the meringue. Also I sliced the strawberries rather than leaving them whole.