- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 3 cups whole fresh strawberries
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Place egg whites in a mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and vanilla; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Fold in almonds.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace a 9-in. circle on paper. Spoon meringue evenly over circle, forming a 1-1/4-in. rim. bake at 300° for 45 minutes. Turn oven off and do not open door; let meringue dry for 1 hour. Cool on baking sheet on a wire rack. When completely cool, remove meringue from parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth and fluffy. Beat in cocoa, milk and vanilla. Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into the meringue shell. Top with strawberries. Melt chocolate and shortening; drizzle over berries. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forStrawberry Chocolate Meringue
"Have made it several times - delicious chocolate cream cheese mixture!! I left out the almonds from the meringue. Also I sliced the strawberries rather than leaving them whole."