Strawberry Brownie Bombe
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (13-inch x 9-inch pan size)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 quart strawberry ice cream, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Fresh strawberries and mint, optional
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions for cake-like brownies. Stir in walnuts. Pour the batter into two greased and waxed paper-lined 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pans.
- Line a 1-1/2-qt. metal bowl with foil. Cut and fit one brownie layer to evenly line the inside of a bowl (brownie may crack). Spread preserves over brownie layer. Freeze for 15 minutes. Fill brownie-lined bowl with ice cream; smooth top. Cover and freeze for 3 hours or until ice cream is firm.
- Place remaining brownie layer on a serving plate. Remove bowl from freezer; uncover. Invert onto brownie layer; remove bowl and foil. Return to freezer.
- In a large bowl, beat cream and food coloring until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form; set aside 1-1/2 cups. Spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides of bombe.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag and insert star tip. Fill with reserved whipped cream; pipe border at base of bombe. Holding the bag straight up and down, form stars on top. Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired.
Nov 10, 2012
My husband and I loved this recipe!! To make it a little bit healthier we used frozen yogurt instead of ice cream!
Sep 4, 2011
I used the basic ideas of the brownie bombe but replaced the strawberry parts with other flavorings and am using whipped cream as the frosting. I made a cherry raspberry conserve a while ago and am using it for the first time on this bombe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.