Strawberry Breakfast Spread
"This recipe comes from my mother, Helen Orman, who is on a restricted diet," says Theresa Brown of Mountain Home, Idaho. "She makes this yummy fruit spread often and uses it in place of jellies and syrups."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-3/4 cups unsweetened strawberries, mashed
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over orange juice; let stand for 1 minute. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Transfer to a container; cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until firm. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Equal Sweetner
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 16 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Strawberry Breakfast Spread in Light & Tasty June/July 2002