Before moving to Oklahoma, I owned a catering business in Tennessee. This recipe was a favorite with my clients. I appreciate that the dough starts with a convenient hot roll mix.
Recommended: Our Berriest Breakfasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Prepare roll mix according to directions. While dough is resting, combine the jam, apricots and walnuts in a small bowl. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 14-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Place on a greased foil-lined baking sheet.
- Spread filling down center third of rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 2-1/2-in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush braid with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Braid in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p167