Before moving to Oklahoma, I owned a catering business in Tennessee. This recipe was a favorite with my clients. I appreciate that the dough starts with a convenient hot roll mix.
Recommended: Our Berriest Breakfasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Prepare roll mix according to directions. While dough rests, mix jam, apricots and walnuts.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 14x9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased foil-lined baking sheet. Spread filling down center third of rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips at an angle, about 2-1/2-in. into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch both ends to seal.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brush top with butter; sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Braid in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p167