Strawberry Angel Trifle Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed and drained
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1. Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions; cool completely. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin and 3/4 cup sugar in boiling water. Mash half of the strawberries; add to gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 1 hour. Slice remaining strawberries; stir into the gelatin.
- 2. Cut cake into 1-in. cubes. Place half in a 3-qt. trifle or glass bowl. Top with half of the gelatin mixture. Repeat. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours. In a bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon over gelatin. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 each: 313 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Strawberry Angel Trifle
"I've made this several times and it was a hit!"
"This is good, but not too sure why you would need all that sugar that is called for. I only used 3 tbsps, and that was just in the whipping cream."
"My Mom used to make this when I was a kid, I've been looking for the recipe for years. I love it!"
"Made this strawberry trifle and it was gone so fast. Huge hit. Will make aging and again."
"We love this but make it low sugar and low fat :) Still delicious!!"
"I would suggest draining the strawberry juice in the container for measuring the water. Then add water to the 2-cup line. This will add flavor and color to the gelatin and not waste the juice. Can't wait to try this recipe."
"the strawberry angel trifle was worth the time to make.and went down so so good. thanks. [email protected]"
"If you want sugar free you can use Stevia, which is a plant that contains 0 calories. You can get it in most grocery stores and I would suggest a bottle of the powder form if you bake a lot. For example 1 cup of sugar has 770 calories and the same amount of Stevia has NO CALORIES. Also has no additives, preservatives or what I call chemicals. Fantastic for people with diabetes!!"
"Thank you Ruebenswife, for a great idea to do sugar free. My question is did you add any sugar or sugar subistute to the whip cream?????"
"I made this sugar free and it was fantastic! My local grocery store carries a prepared sugar free angel food cake. I then used sugar free jello and whip cream. Love getting to use my trifle bowl."
"We loved it!"
"I brought this to a party and everyone loved it! It looks and tastes great, but allow plenty of time to make as it takes several hours between the baking and chilling."
"I made this was Father's Day -- everyone loved it and wanted the recipe. Makes a lot."