Strawberry Angel Trifle
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed and drained
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions; cool completely. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin and 3/4 cup sugar in boiling water. Mash half of the strawberries; add to gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 1 hour. Slice remaining strawberries; stir into the gelatin.
- Cut cake into 1-in. cubes. Place half in a 3-qt. trifle or glass bowl. Top with half of the gelatin mixture. Repeat. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours. In a bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon over gelatin.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 313 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
May 28, 2018
I love angel food cakes and this recipe takes a great dessert and throws it over the top! I made my own angel food cake using Ina Garten's lemon angel food cake recipe. Otherwise, I made it exactly as written. Great dessert! And very easy too!
Dec 23, 2016
I've made this several times and it was a hit!
May 25, 2015
This is good, but not too sure why you would need all that sugar that is called for. I only used 3 tbsps, and that was just in the whipping cream.
May 16, 2015
I make this quite often for family functions, but instead of sugar I use splenda , and I use lowfat diabetic friendly pound cake instead of angel food cake. It seems like there is never enough! But, I have to have to have my heavy cream for it.
Aug 29, 2014
My Mom used to make this when I was a kid, I've been looking for the recipe for years. I love it!
May 30, 2014
May 10, 2014
Made this strawberry trifle and it was gone so fast. Huge hit. Will make aging and again.
Apr 21, 2014
We love this but make it low sugar and low fat :) Still delicious!!
Apr 20, 2014
I would suggest draining the strawberry juice in the container for measuring the water. Then add water to the 2-cup line. This will add flavor and color to the gelatin and not waste the juice. Can't wait to try this recipe.
Apr 19, 2014
the strawberry angel trifle was worth the time to make.and went down so so good. thanks. [email protected]