Strawberry Angel Delight
For a nice ending to a barbecue, offer slices of this tempting tunnel cake shared by Jean King of Anderson, California. "I found the recipe in an old cookbook," she recalls. TIP: "When making the filling, use any type of fruit you prefer," Jean says.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners’ sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. In a large bowl, combine the marshmallows, strawberries, pineapple and 1-1/2 cups whipped cream.
- Cut a 1-in. slice off the top of the cake; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom of cake, leaving a 1-in. shell. Set aside 1/2 cup strawberry mixture. Fill tunnel in cake with remaining strawberry mixture; replace cake top. Spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Spread reserved strawberry mixture over the top. Store in the refrigerator.
Originally published as Angel Waldorf Delight in Quick Cooking July/August 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.