Strawberry Almond Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and strawberries until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cinnamon and almond extract; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping. Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the remaining flour mixture. Stir in buttermilk and egg until moistened.
- Spread 1-1/2 cups of batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Carefully spread with the strawberry mixture. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over strawberry mixture. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 367 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Aug 1, 2014
This is a yummy coffee cake. I like to add some blanched or slivered almonds to the mixture that is to be sprinkled on top of the cake.
Oct 18, 2012
I make 1.5 times the dough amount, so it is easier to spread. I am going to try it with cranberries next and see how that goes. It isn't too sweet and is wonderful warm.
Jul 10, 2011
This was wonderful & my family loved it and requested it again.