- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1 prepared angel food cake (9-ounce round)
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 whole fresh strawberries
- In a bowl, whisk the milk and water. Whisk in the pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set; fold in the whipped topping. Cut cake into 1/2-in. cubes.
- Spoon a third of the pudding mixture into a 4-qt. trifle or glass bowl. Top with half of the cake cubes and sliced strawberries. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining pudding mixture. Garnish with whole strawberries. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forStrawberries 'n' Cream Trifle
"An embarrassing fail for a diabetic friend's Thanksgiving-weekend "no turkey, cranberry, or pumpkin anything allowed" potluck. Sickly sweet even with dismal November strawberries, with a strongly artificial flavor from the sugar-free pudding mix and whipped topping and vanillin in the store-bought angel food cake. The dish emptied quickly - it was very pretty even in an ordinary Pyrex mixing bowl instead of a fancy stemmed trifle bowl, I'll grant that - but I saw a lot of trifle-bearing paper plates in the trash, and no one asked for the recipe which was a first for me. My host and another diabetic both informed me that a proper trifle with all the fat would have been better, because fat significantly slows the uptake of sugar in the digestive system, and this "lighter" dessert still has as much sugar per serving as a Snickers bar. Sorry."
"SOOOO, Good, went so fast, i had to make another one."
"Tasty, low calorie and low fat, and beautiful! I make this for church suppers and never bring any home. And the diabetics love it!"
"We did it in individual trifles - lots of compliments!"
"This was great! One would never know it was 'lightened' up!"
"I did mine a little different/ layerd peaches/strawberries/blueberries in beween/ everyone loved it..used angel food cake for mine"
"I wish the writer would have posted both this and her Mothers original recipe for those of us who do not mind the "full fat and calorie" version. I will make this soon as the strawberry season is in full swing."
"My go to summer desert to take to many functions..the bowl always empties quick!!"
"Great trifle recipe that goes over well as a potluck."
"A family favorite - no one can believe that it's a "lite" recipe."