- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham (4 ounces)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a blender or food processor, combine the milk, cottage cheese and cornstarch; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan; add the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese until melted.
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat ham and garlic for 2 minutes. Add peas; heat through. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese sauce. Drain fettuccine; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forStraw and Hay
"I thought this was a great recipe. I am lazy though so didn't dirty so many pans. I made my fettuccine in a 2 quart sauce pan, drained it and kept it warm sitting on the stove in the strainer. Then I sauteed my garlic and ham in the same saucepan. I then put my sauce from the blender right into the pan with ham and garlic. As I got it warming and thickening, I added the peas. Stirring all the time.Since there are only two of us, I didn't mix the pasta in the sauce. We put our pasta in bowls and then spooned sauce over the pasta. This way I could store any leftover sauce for another casserole or pasta dish. BTW...I have a REALLY low sodium hubby so did not add the salt. Parmesan is salty enough."
"Excellent tasty way to use leftover ham. I would like to try with shrimp as the submitter suggested."