- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, water, soup mix, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes if desired. Bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-9 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forStovetop Italian Macaroni
"We needed a quick menu change tonight, we had everything on hand for this recipe, and then some. Added chopped onion and garlic to the meat mixture and fresh parsley to the sauce. We were out of elbows, so we used penne and added some extra jar sauce to allow for extra cook and reducing time for the larger pasta. Delicious!"
"This is the easiest, most tasty dish I've made in a long time. 4 of us devoured it easily!"
"Made this tonight, came together very easy on a busy Sunday evening. I did add an additional teaspoon of Italian seasoning, a half-teaspoon of minced garlic, a half-teaspoon each of onion & garlic powder- just my family's preference of flavors. Thank you for sharing a wonderful recipe !"
"Not for me,"
"When I was growing up (too many years ago) my mom made a dish very similar to this, a lot. It was always called goulash. We usually added tomato sauce. Added chopped onion and green pepper with various Italian seasonings as we didn't have onion soup mix. Added salt instead and pepper. Sometimes I add mushrooms and we add whatever kind of cheese upon serving we desire. Always enjoyed"
"We love this! I make it regularly. I use sausage instead of beef, add mushrooms and a little cayenne pepper."
"My husband really enjoyed this. Instead of regular diced tomatoes I added a can of Italian style diced tomatoes to add a bit of additional flavor. I also diced a small onion and browned it with the beef. Will def make again!"
"We will definitely be making this again as it was delicious! I thought the onion soup mix, the crushed red pepper flakes, and the basil (I didn't have Italian seasoning on hand so I subbed in dried, crushed basil flakes) provided great flavor. I also added a bit of onion powder and garlic powder. This recipe comes together really quickly and is made even better because it calls for ingredients I already have on-hand (or that can easily be substituted for). In the future, I may try bulk Italian sausage in place of all or some of the hamburger just for a slightly different flavor."
"Not a bad dish. I used 1/2 hamburger and 1/2 Italian sausage and tomatoes with green pepper, onion, and celery. I also added onion. I think I would like it better with all hamburger. My family enjoyed it."