- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells (about 4 ounces)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion and garlic over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in pasta; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forStovetop Beef and Shells
"I made this recipe for the first time tonight, and my husband and I both enjoyed it very much. I only gave it four stars though because I didn't follow the recipe exactly. The changes i made were, a can of undiluted tomato soup, and i added a can of mexican corn. Instead of a clove of garlic, added granulated garlic. I served a salad and french bread with this and it went perfectly. There is plenty left to have again tomorrow night This recipe will be a keeper in my home."
"Haven't tried this so my rating is not real but I have to say this is NOT American Chop Suey (and I live in R.I.) since that has green peppers in it and uses elbows not shells."
"I added a little more garlic and some fresh parsley. Very tasty!"
"Love this recipe. So quick and easy. Since we are not big meat eaters I use only 1/2 lb. ground beef and add more pasta. I make a pound of pasta and add to meat mixture the amount of cooked pasta that looks good to me. I also substitute 1 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp oregano, & 1/2 tsp of thyme for the sugar, pepper and salt. So quick and so good!"
"Just like hamburger helper but much healthier. This recipe made our make-again list!"
"instead of the corn use mexi corn and use green pepper a little tex mex flavor/itailan"
"I made almost this same recipe, but it's called Southwestern Goulash. It has a few more seasonings and adds corn. I just can't seem to get much flavor in it, and the family didn't like it. I feel like it's missing something that would make it taste better but not sure what..."
"My picky 3 year old had three helpings of this. Need I say more?"
"I would add more garlic, not add the sugar, not really a necessary thing and add basil and oregano. Maybe a little sprinkle of parmesan.You could use any mosta in this dish."
"Really nice with ground turkey and crushed tomatoes with basil."