- 12 small red potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), scrubbed
- 6 to 7 medium carrots (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds), trimmed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup beer or additional beef broth
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Minced fresh thyme, optional
- Place potatoes, carrots and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; transfer to slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine next nine ingredients; pour over top. Cook, covered, on low until meat and vegetables are tender, 8-10 hours.
- Slice beef and keep warm. Strain cooking juices, reserving vegetables and 1 cup liquid. Skim fat from reserved liquid; transfer liquid to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve with beef and vegetables. If desired, top with fresh thyme. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forStout & Honey Beef Roast
"I agree with others... Very little taste, little on the sweet side, and what taste there was wasn't spectacular. Probably won't try this one again."
"It cooked well, but the sauce was way too sweet and not very interesting."
"how would i adjust the honey... I tasted it this morning and it seems to be very much on the sweeter side (I had it cooking on a very low setting in my crockpot all night)"
"I wasn't inspired by this dish. We felt it lacked in flavor... sorry. I really wanted to like this recipe."
"I also add celery to the potatoes, carrots and onion. We love this meal."
"I have made this many times. I do not use stout but extra beef broth. It is excellent and very flavorful."
"very little flavor, a big disappointment"
"This roast is wonderful."