Stone Soup Recipe
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 yellow summer squash, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups salad croutons
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 2. Stir in the chicken, beans and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender. Add tomatoes; heat through. Serve with croutons and cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
1-1/8 cups: 259 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 523mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Stone Soup
"Very good soup, we really enjoyed it."
"to the giving tree: I loved that they put this recipe up, I remember reading this book in kindergarten and our teacher let us help her make the stone soup, and it was delicious. we actually cleaned off a big stone and put it in the soup!! i recently picked up the book and the author is Marcia Brown. Now that i'm a mom, I'll be reading this book to my son and we'll make the soup together :) "
"I love this idea! Could you tell me the author of the book?"