VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 cans (12-1/2 ounces each) poppy seed cake and pastry filling
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, cake mix, yeast and salt. Add water to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a very large greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 12x8-in. oval. Spread each with 1 can filling. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edges lightly to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Stollen for a Crowd in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p32