Stirred Lemon Rice Custard
Our previous story on Shirley provided the recipe for Christmas Tree Bread pictured at left. This time, we're sharing another of her delicious recipes, Stirred Lemon Rice Custard. Try it-you'll enjoy it as much as our staff did!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 70 min.
Makesabout 16 servings
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice, chilled
- 1-1/2 quarts whole milk
- 9 large eggs, well beaten
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a Dutch oven, heat rice and milk over low heat for 1 hour. Combine eggs, sugar and salt. Slowly pour into hot rice mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, just until the mixture coats a metal spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in extract and zest. Place pan in the sink filled with ice for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove custard to a covered bowl and chill.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 199 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Stirred Lemon Rice Custard in Country April/May 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.