I first served this at a party...it was an instant hit. I'm sure you and your family will like the slightly sweet-and-sour sauce in this unique salad.
Recommended: 44 Ways to Get More Leafy Greens in Your Life
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, julienned
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomato halves
- Drain pineapple, reserving 3 tablespoons juice in a small bowl; set pineapple aside. (Discard remaining juice or save for another use.) In a skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in oil for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Add green pepper; stir-fry for 2-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, add brown sugar and cornstarch to pineapple juice; mix well. Stir in ketchup, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth; add to skillet and cook until thickened. On a large serving platter, arrange spinach, pineapple and tomatoes. Top with chicken and green pepper; serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Stir-Fry Spinach Salad in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p13