For a colorful nutritious blend of crisp-tender vegetables in a mildly seasoned sauce, try this recipe created by field editor Cindy Winter-Hartley from Cary, North Carolina.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, julienned
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a large skillet or wok, saute the peppers, carrots and broccoli in oil until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Combine soy sauce and ginger; add to pan with onion. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Combine cornstarch, broth and water until smooth; gradually stir into vegetables. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 183 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Stir-Fried Vegetables in Taste of Home February/March 1999