Stir-Fried Lemon Chicken
Stir-fry is such a terrific entree to serve to guests because the main ingredients can be cut up and refrigerated in advance. This recipe created in out Test Kitchen has a wonderful lemon flavor.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Cook: 40 min.
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger, divided
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch and 1/4 teaspoon ginger. Stir in the soy sauce, sherry or broth and lemon juice until smooth. Add the chicken and lemon peel; toss to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the rice; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until rice begins to brown. Add the broth, salt, pepper and remaining ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry peppers in 2 tablespoons oil until crisp-tender. Remove from the skillet and keep warm. In the same pan, cook chicken mixture in remaining oil until chicken juices run clear. Stir in peppers and onions. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 615 calories, 25g fat (4g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 1123mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 41g protein.
Originally published as Stir-Fried Lemon Chicken in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.