Stir-Fried Beef on Lettuce
"Being from the Philippines, I'm partial to stir-fries," writes Ninez McConnell of Mill Creek, Washington. "My husband especially likes this refreshing combination of steak and crisp shredded lettuce.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups fresh snow peas
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce and wine or broth. Reserve 1/4 cup. Pour remaining soy sauce mixture into a large resealable plastic bag; add the beef; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and reserved soy sauce mixture until smooth; set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet, stir-fry mushrooms and snow peas in 2 teaspoons oil for 3-4 minutes or until snow peas are crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Drain and discard marinade from beef. In the same skillet, stir-fry beef in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Stir cornstarch mixture; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Place lettuce on four serving plates. Top with beef mixture and snow pea mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 246 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 856mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Stir-Fried Beef on Lettuce in Light & Tasty April/May 2004