Stir-Fried Asparagus with Water Chestnuts
This sauce dish, with crisp-tender asparagus and crunchy water chestnuts, can be served as a meatless entree or side. Rochelle Higgins of Woodbridge, Virginia shared the recipe.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium green pepper, cut into julienned strips
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth and soy sauce until smooth; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry the asparagus, green pepper, onions and garlic in hot oil for 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms; stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add water chestnuts; stir-fry 1-2 minutes longer. Stir broth mixture; add to the vegetables. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 133 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Stir-Fried Asparagus in Light & Tasty June/July 2003