Sticky Toffee Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce Recipe
5 2 2
The classic Sticky Toffee Pudding is a traditional dessert in the United Kingdom. I love that I can just stay home and bake this cake version, featuring saucy butterscotch. —Agnes Ward, Stratford, Ontario
Featured In: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pitted dates (about 12 ounces)
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 7 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine dates and water; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in baking soda. Cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, mix flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in date mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; add brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in brandy and vanilla. Serve warm with warm cake. If desired, top with whipped cream. Yield: 15 servings (2-1/2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Sticky Toffee Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce in Taste of Home December/January 2013, p71
Reviews forSticky Toffee Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review