Sticks ‘n’ Stones Salad
"Sticks" of celery and carrots tossed with water chestnuts ("stones") are nicely coated in a dill and Dijon mustard dressing in this recipe from Nancy Zicker of Port Orange, Florida. She says, "This salad is a big hit with our children - it's a great way to get them to eat their vegetables. Not only do they love the taste, but they also love the name of the recipe!"
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 5 celery ribs, julienned
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- Place celery and carrots in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes; drain and rinse with cold water. Drain thoroughly.
- Transfer to a large bowl; add the water chestnuts. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and dill. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 121 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Sticks 'n' Stones Salad in Taste of Home April/May 2003