Stewed Vegetables and Ham Soup
Here's a hearty soup that's not only good but good for you as well. Because of my schedule, I need to have simple yet satisfying dishes that take little time to prepare. This one fills the bill.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup cooked spiral pasta
- In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatoes, chicken broth, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in the mixed vegetables, ham and beans. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in pasta and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 187 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 1332mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Stewed Vegetables and Ham Soup in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Dec 26, 2014
For a quick soup this is really good. I made as recipe said this time just added a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley when I served it. I think I will add some onion next time and a little more broth. A great way to use leftover ham!